In September I wrote a post about my Food-Related Pet Peeves (click on the link in case you missed it). Since then I have realized that I also have a few gym-related pet peeves as well. Here they are:
- Groups of people walking in a line across the indoor track at the gym. I am trying to run and you should stick to the designated walking lanes – not take up all 4 so you can talk.
- Nakedness in the locker rooms. In fact, I specifically try to avoid locker rooms at gyms and just shower later back at home because people wandering around without clothes on too much for me!
- Men playing the “who can out talk who” game as opposed to just letting their strength talk for them. Stop talking. You are not impressing anyone. Start lifting. Thanks.
- Unorganized dumbbells. Finding a matching set should not be a scavenger hunt.
- Ellipticals and Recumbent Bikes. I’m sorry, but I hate them. The only way in which I find their use is acceptable is when my schedule is EXTRA tight and I need to cram for an exam or grade papers and this is my only shot at being productive and getting a quasi workout in.
- Hearing women/girls utter the phrase “I don’t want to get big” in response to why they only lift super light weights or don’t lift at all. Lifting does not make you “big”. It makes you stronger, leaner, and healthier.
- Trainers and other gym personnel who act like know it alls and try to sell people unnecessary supplements.
- People who cheat. By this I mean individuals who do not perform lifts correctly and therefore are not maximizing their potential. Examples of such behavior: 1) Swinging dumbbells and the upper body in order to do bicep curls. Drop down the amount of weight you are using – even if it damages your ego – and do it properly. 2) Not fully straightening arms while doing pull-ups. It is not impressive that you did a whole bunch of 1/4 reps where your arms were not even close to straight. Doing less reps, but doing full reps is more beneficial AND impressive!
What gym-related pet peeves do you have? (And again, feel free to laugh at or voice that you disagree with some of mine!)