Week 1 of marathon training is in the book and Week 2 has begun. The piece of motivation I am using this week – and probably for many weeks to come – is this:
The start of a run can be a struggle. Sometimes it takes ticking off a few miles before my mind and legs believe I can get through what was scheduled. This fortune is a good reminder to power through, get outside, and cover those miles!
I’ve debated posting my times/paces for runs. I don’t want it to be used for “judgement” purposes / make any of you feel better or worse about yourselves. There are plenty of people out there faster than me and slower than me. Whatever, who cares. Decided to post them anyway so that I have a record of them.
Here is a recap of Week 1 (Full plan can be found on this link of the iRunnerBlog.):
- Sunday- 10 minute warm-up, 5 x 1 min 10K pace/1 min light jog. 10 minute cool down. I jogged to a local track and then did the 10 minute fartlek-type run around there. I actually misread the schedule and thought it was 1 minute at 5K pace, so I ran the first part a bit faster than I should have and then probably did the jog slower than I probably should have. TEMP: 85°F
- Monday- 3 miles. This run SUCKED. I forgot to pack socks in my bag, so I went out without them. Big mistake. Quickly rubbed two holes in the back of my foot, which are still there. I covered them with blister block band-aids and then mole skin for the rest of my workouts. TIME: 25:15 (8:25 min/mile pace), TEMP: 83°F
- Tuesday- Off from running. Did some ab work.
- Wednesday- 10 minute warm-up, 3 mile tempo hard effort, 10 minute cool-down. Route I ran had gradual, non-steep hills. TIME: 23:28 (7:49 min/mile pace), TEMP: 70°F
- Thursday- Off from running. Went and lifted. Going to make an effort to get in to the gym 1-2x/week in order to lift and keep some strength.
- Friday– 8 miles. This was my long run for the week. Felt pretty good for first 4 miles. Hamstrings felt tight after that, so I slowed down for miles 4-7 and then did a fartlek type effort on the last mile. TIME: 1:09:49 (8:44 min/mile pace). TEMP: 75°F.
- Saturday- 90 minute Vinyasa yoga class in a slightly heated room. Yoga is harder than it should be. I am so freaking inflexible. I also did some ab work. I wanted to lift today, but my stupid gym decided on THURSDAY to tell us they would be closed on Saturday. Thanks for the heads up, NOT!
Anyone else in marathon (or other distance) training mode right now? How is it going?